Thursday 15 March 2012

Stitched art doll

Bought a book a few weeks ago, impulse buy (again) as I spotted it in a wool shop.  It is Wild Women; stitched Art Dolls by the late Sarah Lawrence and I wanted to have a go at the beaded doll brooch as I have a ton of seed beads just sitting there.


Finished it about 30 mins ago.  Mr B's cousin lives in Japan and his wife is over here for a few weeks visiting her Mother-in-law and will be with us for lunch on Sunday.  She is a talented crafter and brings me something every year that she, or one of her friends have made so this will be her's.  I hope she likes her - Mr B says it reminds him of a voodoo doll, not that he has ever seen one.

While I'm on a blue and green theme (can you tell they are my favourite colours?) I had a go at altering a large silver metal charm for the niche in my altered book.  Got out the alcohol inks, blue and green of course, and was going to use glossy accents then grabbed the crackle glaze to see if I could get a veined effect on the wings, pleased to say, it did whoop whoop.


Photo doesn't show but it is shinier than it looks here.  Final touch will be to add a few tiny beads in the hollows down the body.

And now for something completely different in style, a Mother's Day card for my M-in-law.  Faux porcelain roses, an embossing folder, a bit of stamping with Brilliance inks and an aperture card.



13 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Ann, you have been busy! I think the doll looks like a very delicate Russian Doll. The dragonfly is just amazing. I love how you have coloured it. I must get my alcohol inks out!

Sherry said...

Your little beaded doll is beautiful, I'm sure the receipient will absolutely love it. I have Sarah's book too - not looked at it for a while - she was such a talented lady.

Your blue and green decoration really shows up on the metal charm, it's going to look fab in the book niche. Talking of which, I've now actually started my book - just finished pegging the pages together.

Love the flowers on your card too x

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann. What's Mr. B like! lol! Fantastic projects. Never seen anything like the beaded doll before. TFS.
Regards Florence x

Von said...

Gosh these are all stunning Ann :)
I'm sure vodoo dolls are ugly and you can't say that about yours hope you cliped him round the ear lol
Von x♥x

May said...

I love your doll gosh all those lovely beads Perfect, the dragonfly is fab, love blues & greens, and your card is lovely, you have been a busy girl, Lovely makes, Hugs May x x x

Unknown said...

Lovely embossing on your card Ann , love the butterfly and the little dolly. Your flowers on the card are gorgeous.
Hugs Elaine

Unknown said...

You are one talented girl!! That doll is so cool, and the dragon fly, I love!

Ephemera said...

Hi Ann give Mr B a slap from me!! Your doll is so beautiful, love all the beading, the colours on the dragonfly are superb and what a gorgeous card for MIL. XX

Cath Wilson said...

Beautiful, Ann and I love your dragonfly, in particular. That was a stroke of genius - glad it worked so beautifully x

hazel said...

Wonderful work Ann. Your doll is beautiful and the dragonfly is stunning.
xxx Hazel.

Neet said...

Love your doll - must have a look at this book - was with Liz last week (Sarah's good friend) and I bet she would love one of those dolls. Good idea to use up the beads.
The dragonfly - well, I have green envy. It is fabulous! What a super technique you have just come up with.
Great card too.
Must go, spent too much time tidying/reorganising in the stamp room.
Hugs, Neet xx

JoZart Designs said...

What gorgeous creations Ann. You really have had a creative burst so keep it up! You really do make some lovely quality things.
JoZarty x

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Your beaded goddess art doll looks great! Fabulous job on the dragonfly for your niche, too!